Sustainable Harborough want YOU to get involved. You’ll discover a host of volunteer opportunities where you can help others; help the environment and develop your own skills.
There are plenty of ways to help and we’ve broken these down into food, energy / water and wildlife to give you a good idea about how you can get involved. Or if you’ve got a project that you would like to get started we’d love to hear from you!
- Get involved in protecting the natural environment
- Help others to improve their living standards
- Develop new and practical skills
- Preserve Market Harborough’s best assets for future generations
Click on the projects below to see more detailed ways to get involved with these areas…
- Become a Local Food & Drink Ambassador by becoming a member of the Local Food & Drink Forum steering group to support food initiatives. Become a local food & drink champion to help raise awareness in the town, liaise between businesses about local food initiatives.
- Help run a local food enterprise edibLE16. Roles include: social media group volunteer; Friday order collation volunteer amongst others. Find out more about edibLE16 and the roles they have to offer on their website: http://www.edible16.org.uk/
- Learn how to grow fruit and veg or share your gardening skills with others at Waterloo Cottage Farm Community Garden as a community garden grower. You could also raise awareness and organise events by becoming a friend of Waterloo Cottage Farm Community Garden.
Energy & Water
- Become a Green Open Homes Host or Steward to help demonstrate how water and energy can be conserved in the home
- Contribute to a local energy co-operative by becoming a member of Harborough Energy Ltd Steering Group to contribute to the project. To find out more about Harborough Energy Ltd, please visit the website: http://harboroughenergy.co.uk/
- Support businesses to reduce their energy and water costs as a member of the Business Energy Efficiency Steering Group to help progress projects such as the The Efficiency Network which supports small to medium sized business in Harborough.
- Have a go at habitat creation – create a buzzing border in your own garden and take part in the Show Me The Honey Competition
- Join us on one of our volunteer days in public spaces to create or enhance habitats for wildlife – stay up to date through our events page.
- If you are involved with a local business, organisation or community facility and are interested in creating a community orchard or buzzing border please e-mail us on firstname.lastname@example.org
These are just a sample of what’s going on. The first step is to get involved and we’ll match your interests with an activity that suits you. We’ll provide the opportunities – you just need to bring enthusiasm and a willingness to learn!
Contact us to get involved!